Creating a Diverse Home Library
Foster and adoptive families serve children from varying cultural and racial backgrounds, and Agape Ranch believes the inclusion of culturally diverse titles in your home library provides a great way to facilitate an understanding of the world around us and encourages a welcoming environment for the children we serve.
Tips When Choosing Diverse Books For Your Home Library*
1. Does your book list or collection include books with characters of color? Different nationalities? Differently-abled?
2. Does it include books with a main character of color? Different nationality? Differently-abled?
3. Are there any books with a person of color on the cover? Do the characters on the book covers accurately reflect the characters in the book?
4. Think about the children that you serve through foster and adoption. Does your list provide a mix of “mirror” books and “window” books for your children—books in which they can see themselves reflected and books in which they can learn about others?
5. Think about the subject matter of your diverse books. Do all your books featuring black characters focus on slavery? Do all your books about Latino characters focus on immigration?
6. Do you have any books featuring diverse characters that are not primarily about race or prejudice?
Consider your classic books, both fiction and nonfiction. Do any contain hurtful racial or ethnic stereotypes , or images (e.g. Little House on the Prairie or The Indian in the Cupboard)? If so, how will you address those stereotypes with children? Have you included another book that provides a more accurate depiction of the same culture?
*Adapted from The Educator's Spin on It.
Recommended Books For Your Home Library
The Colors of Us by Karen Katz
The Day You Begin by Jacqueline Woodson
Jabari Jumps by Cornwall, Gaia
Kick it, Mo! / by Adler, David A.
Pass the Ball, Mo! / by David A. Adler
Hair Love by Matthew A. Cherry
Sulwe by Lupita Nyong'o
Dream Big, Little One by Vashti Harrison
I Love My Hair by Natasha Anastasia Tarpley
Don’t Touch My Hair by Sharee Miller
Hair Like Mine series by LaTashia M. Perry
Mixed Me by Taye Diggs
Supporting Agape Ranch through Amazon Smiles
What is AmazonSmile?
AmazonSmile is a simple way for you to support your Agape Ranch every time you shop on Amazon, at no cost to you. AmazonSmile is available at smile.amazon.com on your web browser and can be activated in the Amazon Shopping app for iOS and Android phones.
How to change your AmazonSmile charitable organization
On your first visit to AmazonSmile (smile.amazon.com), you are prompted to select a charitable organization from our list of eligible organizations. You can change your selection at any time.
To change your charitable organization:
1. Sign in to smile.amazon.com on your desktop or mobile phone browser.
2. From your desktop, go to Your Account from the navigation at the top of any page, and then select the option to Change your Charity. Or, from your mobile browser, select change your Charity from the options at the bottom of the page.
3. Select a new charitable organization to support.
4. For more information about the AmazonSmile program, go to http://smile.amazon.com/about.