WHAT IS RESPITE CARE?
Foster parents face unique challenges due to the stressors that arise when caring for hurting and vulnerable children. In order to avoid burnout, their sacrificial lifestyle must be balanced with support. Agape Ranch works with the Department of Family and Protective Services and local Child Placing Agencies (CPAs) to license individuals to become childcare providers, who are able to support foster parents by caring for the foster children. Respite Care Providers allow foster parents opportunities to take vacations out of the county/state, go on date nights, attend personal medical appointments, or simply take a break.
Bi-annual training - Winter and Fall
Next training date: February 1, 2020
TRAINING DAY SCHEDULE
9:00 am - 9:30 am -- Check-in & Paperwork Turn-in
9:30 am - 3:00 pm -- Respite Care Certification Training
3:00 pm - 5:00 pm -- CPR & First Aid
- Childcare for the first 15 registered children is provided
- Lunch will be provided for all training participants and their children. If there are special
dietary restrictions, we respectfully ask that you provide your own lunch.
TOTAL COST: $85 / person
$30 for CPR/First Aid Training. Bring cash or check on the day of the training.
$15 for TB test at the Health Department (1702 Horne Rd, Room 93).
If respite care is being done in the provider's home, every family member above the age 1 must obtain a TB test. $15 per person.
Hours of TB clinic are 8:00 a.m. - 11:00 a.m. and 1:00 p.m. - 3:30 p.m.
$15 per person in CASH. No checks or credit card will be accepted.
Adult - Must take picture ID and Social Security card
Child - Must take parent picture ID and the child's Social Security card
The TB shot is given at the first visit. Must return within 48 - 72 hours to have the results read.
$40 for FBI fingerprint after the day of the training. Instructions will be e-mailed.
If respite care is being done in the provider's home, the every respite care provider needs a FBI fingerprint completed.
Everyone else who lives in the home, above the age 13 must complete a DFPS Background Check. See #3 in the below box. Only pages 1 - 5 must be completed. Foster children may never be left alone with those who have not completed the respite care training certification.
Questions? Please email Agape Ranch Director of Program, Liddy Vargas, at email@example.com
HOW DO I BECOME A RESPITE CARE PROVIDER?
1. Register for the next Respite Care Training, February 1, 2020.
2. Complete the three online training below, print out the certificates, and bring them to the training.
3. Print and fill out the following forms. Bring them to the training.
4. Make copies of your Driver's License, Social Security Card, and car insurance and bring them to the training.
5. Obtain a TB test result and bring it to the training. See above box for details.
6. Attend the training.
7. If providing respite care in your home, schedule and pass the health and fire inspections. The scheduling will be done through Agape Ranch with a DFPS inspector.
8. Acquire and pass the FBI fingerprinting background check. Directions will be emailed to you. See above box for details.
9. You are now a respite care provider! Thank you for being an essential support to the foster families in our community.